Two categories of single mechanical seals are (1) inside-mounted and (2) outside-mounted. The primary difference between the two styles is that inside mounted seals are contained within the equipment seal chamber and outside-mounted seals are mounted external of the equipment housing. See Images 2 and 3 for diagrams of an inside-mounted and outside-mounted single seal.
Inside-mounted mechanical seals :
Image 2. Inside mounted seal
1. are available in a wide variety of materials and designs
2. have centrifugal forces that tend to reduce leakage
3. usually avoid catastrophic leakage during seal failure
One disadvantage of inside-mounted seals is that they can be more difficult to install and maintenance usually requires disassembling the equipment.
Outside-mounted mechanical seals:
Image 3. Outside mounted seal
Outside-mounted seals are:
1. typically easier to install
2. adjustable without complete equipment disassembly
3. accessible—can often be backed-off for cleaning
4. usually less expensive
One disadvantage of outside-mounted seals is that they usually have lower temperature and speed limits due to lack of sufficient heat removal from the seal faces.
Shaanxi DaoLin Mechanical & Electrical Co.,Ltd
Room1107, Building B, Sail Times Plaza, Hou Wei Zhai, Wei Yang
District, 710085, Xi’an City, Shaanxi Province, China
Tel.:+86(029)84523807-802 Fax: +86(029)84523807-808